Residence and work permit regulation for Students


Residence (VISA) and work permit regulation for Foreign Students

(1) A foreign student who is admitted at a state or state-recognized university or similar educational institution shall be granted a residence permit (VISA).

One may also get a VISA for preparation of the planned studies or even for attending German language courses (preparatory measures).

The residence permit for study purposes may be granted only if the student has been admitted by the educational establishment, a conditional approval is also sufficient.

Proof of proficiency in the language of instruction is not required if the language skill has already been considered during the approval process or to be acquired through the preparatory measures. VISA for preparatory measures is limited to two years.

(1a) A foreign student can be issued a VISA only for the purpose of the application for study. The VISA as an applicant shall not exceed nine months.

(2) The student VISA granted under paragraph 1 shall not be converted or extended into a different type of VISA unless there is a statutory right.

(3) Students are allowed to work a total of 120 days or 240 half days per year. This does not apply during the stay of preparatory measures in the first year of residence, except during the holiday season and for a stay under paragraph 1a.

[One exception is the occupation of academic or student assistant [HIWI]. As long as your studies are not impaired by it, this work can be carried out for an unlimited period of time. The Aliens Department must still be informed if you wish to work as an academic or student assistant!] 

(4) Upon successful completion of the study, students may get a VISA up to one year to search for a job. Paragraph 3 shall apply accordingly.

(5) A foreign student may be granted a residence permit to attend language courses that do not serve the study, preparation, and in exceptional cases for the University. Paragraph 2 shall apply accordingly.

(6) Applies to student from EU-countries.

(7) Students under 18 years are entitled an approval of their parents for a VISA.
Special note:

If you have a language learning visa you cannot work at all. Not at any time. If you have a student visa (meaning that you are going to attend a university or other insitute of higher learning) you may work 120 full days or 240 half days per calendar year. Source:

প্রতিবেদনঃ আদনান সাদেক

Source: Gesetz über den Aufenthalt, die Erwerbstätigkeit und die Integration von Ausländern im Bundesgebiet

(Aufenthaltsgesetz – AufenthG) §16 Studium; Sprachkurse; Schulbesuch

Detailed information on student jobs:

Question: Ami language er por univ te admission nibo. Amar univ condition letter ase. tahole ami to language chola kale job korte parbo?

Ans.: It is a NO. You do not have a work permit. You may apply for one, but whether you will get it depends on the visa officer. You can NOT assure that. If you dont have a good financial backup, do not come to Germany with conditional admission.



Print Friendly, PDF & Email

ফেসবুক মন্তব্যঃ

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

  1. I have got an acceptance letter from a university in MSc-Informatik program. But before starting the course, I have got a condition to complete 3 different foundation courses (which are course related) from the university and they must have to be completed within a year. But I don’t have such a condition to have a German Language course. Therefore, after completing the foundation courses it is written on my acceptance letter that I can start my MSc course. My question is during studying the foundation courses, do I have the permission to work?