The Studentenwerke offer around 181,000 places in student accommodation all over Germany and is the cheapest form of housing for students. The possibilities are varied and range from simple rooms to flats for couples, for students with children and also for students with disabilities. The facilities of such housing differ, but in general they are of a good standard. There are often communal rooms such as cafés, cellars for bicycles are almost always available and mostly washing machines are provided, too. An increasing number of Studentenwerke also offer cheap internet access. In some Studentenwerke tutors are available in student accommodation to help international students. They are there to advise and support international students at the beginning of their stay in Germany.
Different types of housing :
The Studentenwerke offer different types of housing within student accommodation. Besides furnished rooms they also have unfurnished housing. Furnished rooms are mostly equipped with a writing desk, a bed, a wardrobe and shelving. Pillows, blankets, bedding and towels are not provided. In some Studentenwerke, however, these can be bought or even rented.
The rents in student accommodation depend on the furnishing, location and size of the room. Rents also vary according to the location of the university, but on the whole student accommodation is the cheapest form of housing for students!
Types of accommodation in residential housing:
- Single room on one floorSeveral rooms on one floor sharing the kitchen, bath/shower and WC.
- Single room in a flat share / communitySelf-contained housing with between two and seven single rooms, mostly with shared kitchen, bath/shower and WC
- ApartmentsSingle or double apartments are available. A single apartment is a self-contained unit comprising one room with kitchenette, bathroom and WC. Double apartments with two rooms are usually rented to student couples. Most Studentenwerke also offer special accommodation for students with children and for students with disabilities or chronic illness.
- Guest houses / student hotelsSome Studentenwerke have guest houses or student hotels. They are open to students who need accommodation only for one or several days. First-year students who only need a room temporarily can lodge in the guest houses.
If you would like to register for a room or an apartment in student accommodation you should contact your local Studentenwerk(university or hochschule) directly! Your contact at the Studentenwerk is the housing administration.
On the website of the Studentenwerke you will find actual offers of accommodation, registration deadlines and procedures. They also offer other services on the subject of housing, among other things online forms for registration, information on student accommodation, photos and site plans.
Make sure nothing goes wrong
- Start your search for accommodation early!
- Ask whether the room is furnished or unfurnished!
- Ask about bedding and towels!
- If possible, do not arrive at the weekend or late at night. If you have no other choice, inform your Studentenwerk/place of accommodation in advance so that they can arrange for you to receive the keys.
- If, on arrival, you still do not have any accommodation, go to your Studentenwerk as quickly as possible. They often have emergency accommodation available at the beginning of term.
There are a lot of ways to find private housing in Germany. However, you should bear in mind that shortly before the semester starts, it will be more difficult to find a room. So take a look in advance.
Most rooms and apartments are offered unfurnished. There are many online services, but most landlords/flatmates want to meet you in person before making a contract. We also highly recommend to look at a room or an apartment first (and also talk to the landlord personally) before entering a binding agreement.
- http://www.ImmobilienScout24.de (with brokerages)
- http://www.immonet.de (with brokerages)
Latest posts by Adnan Sadeque (see all)
- জার্মানির ডায়েরিঃ২৪ “ফিহা এবং কিছু সমীকরণ” - November 30, 2018
- জার্মানির পথেঃ১৬ জার্মানিতে মাইগ্রেশন, আসছে চমকপ্রদ নতুন আইন, ২০১৮ - November 21, 2018
- জার্মানিঃ “Das Beste, oder nichts” - January 23, 2018